Monday, October 22, 2007

Goat Sacrifice

I wrote this poem in Vain some days after there was a goat sacrifice at my home during Bakri-ID or Eid-uz-Zoha. I was in the other room when this was being done in my balcony. This poem is a symbol of my Vegetarianism. I am a vegetarian not just because it involves killing. But more because it involves a lot of hurting. People do ask me why am I vegetarian even though its written in most holy books that some animals were created by God for the humans to eat. I have no reason for this. Neither I want to argue with anyone. Its my personal opinion that killing will involve a lot of pain. If someone pricks me, I get hurt. That hurt is no way in comparison to the 10 minutes of taste that we get.

Again, the style used in this form of poetry is descriptive free style. I haven't restricted myself to any rhyming but have tried a little.

Goat Sacrifice

Alas, morning had come, day had fell
And she could hear the ringing knell,
But the death here was far absurd,
Neither there was a bier,
Nor a single pyre.

The butcher came in with is shining knife,
To take away the precious life.
The goat began to tremble here and there,
But eyes were fixed on the knife,
With no tears but just a shocking stare,

Ma came in with the holy book,
She searched for the pages with a look,
And then began to read the inscriptions.
Then she bought a cup of water,
And placed it beneath the Goat's mouth.

The Goat refused to take her last sip.
The butcher gave the goat a strong whip,
And it then took a sip.
Before those drops could reach the neck,
The butcher, said his prayers and began
To rub that knife on its neck.

"O Lord- thou hath created me
And now you want me to die,
What sin did I commit afterall
Only that I cannot speak
neither can I take any revenge!
I am coming to you in some moments.
To get my answer. Why? Why? Why?"

Before the lord could hear her plea,
The Butcher had cut the artery on her neck,
Crimson blood fell on the white marble,
and in a minute, there lay her body
A body without a neck.

Vibration was common to each and every cell,
Then came out pieces of meat and fell,
With each stroke of butcher's knife,
Vibration grew more and more.
The soul refused to leave the body.
But now there was no body.

How easy is to take a life
And easier is to forget.
How hard is to remember,
And harder is to regret.

3 comments:

Zia Ur Rahaman (Nitu) said...

Thats a wonderful poem..and very touching .... I often think Hussain Bhai should be the student of Arts! :))))

murtz99 said...

its the way the world moves.human are omnivorous.u cannot deny the fact.only the strogest survive.not at all tochy.sensored n can distract anybody in any ways.n can also hurt sentiments of some religion. galti to vegitables ki bhi nahi which r also living thing but but hum apna peth bharne ke liye usse bhi to maarte hai.so that not wrong or what

Sudha Agarwal Rungta said...

Good thought!