Sunday, October 14, 2007

Death in 60 Seconds

The theme of the poem is based on the Earthquake which hit Bhuj,Gujarat, India in the year 2001.
The main idea is of a man who is feeling proud of his country on Republic day and Suddenly,
a shake is felt. He doesn't know what it is. He has never had such experience before.
He identifies that its an earthquake and the poem describes how he gets trapped in his house beneath the broken walls.

The style of this poetry is an inspiration from another poem:
"A Doctor's journal entry for August 6, 1949" by Vikram Seth.

I have tried to keep the poem light weight and more descriptive so that it can explain the event and the feeling of the people who have suffered due to the quake.


-------------------------------------------
Death In 60 Seconds. By Hussain Fakhruddin
-------------------------------------------

It was a calm Morning of Republic day,
When all the marchers were on their way;
Patriotism filled the air with wine,
And all the hearts rejoiced like mine.
I was watching the magnificent parade,
Suddenly, there busted out a fearful yell
Panic had conquered all my senses, running was the first thought
The Glass beside me vibrated, and fell
Down came the tube lights and the frame
And as I rose up to run
I could not run as if I were lame
The ground beneath my feet began to shake
It reminded me of that roller coaster ride,
In which no one could get up, however hard he tried
The Floor was filled with crushed window glass
And I, still wondering, what had come to pass
But, when a strong vibration shook the whole house.
And put my senses all awake,
I knew it. “Oh Lord. It was an Earthquake”
I, by any means, wanted to get out on the street
But the cupboard fell on my feet.
Everything seemed to topple and crash.
Air was filled with dust and ash
I somehow managed to take out my legs
But it was too late
The inevitable hour, was on his wait
My happiest moment, began to flash
When the walls and ceiling began to squash
Bright red liquid flushed out from my neck
Where the wall had sunken in its peg
My heart refused to pump more blood;
And my lungs rebelled against the dusty air.
Tremors of the quake had twisted the world

---------------------------------------------

3 comments:

Megha said...

A Poet Revealed.. A nice composition.. i felt as if u must hv been thr in guj @ dat tym.. gr8 goin!! :)

Unknown said...

s/w engineer turned poet [:)]
but.. nice poem.. waiting for more poetic revelation

abhishek said...

hello,
could u give ur email id to me
abhishekchess1@gmail.com